Lawns, Toxic Plants, and Outdoor Chemicals
Herbicides (weed killers), insecticides, rodent poison, and slug and snail bait are some of the toxic chemicals used outdoors that may be harmful to your pet. Each summer, insecticides and herbicides poison thousands of pets. When using these chemicals, follow the manufacturer's directions carefully. Make sure that all receptacles and containers are thoroughly washed and out of reach of your pet. Runoff or puddles created from spraying these products should be thoroughly diluted. Do not allow pets in the yard while spraying these products and keep them out of the yard for 3-4 days afterwards. Often, pets walk on surfaces covered with herbicides and become intoxicated after cleaning or licking their paws.